Thursday, August 15, 2013

My Favorite Hashbrowns

I absolutely adore homemade hash browns. Since beginning to make everything from scratch, I love them more than ever.
 
My homemade hash browns take less time than the frozen foods section hash brown bags do. I usually start them... then the eggs and when the eggs are done, the hash browns are done soon after.
It works perfectly for me and I love the results.
First off, Chop your potato ( I leave my skins on In the past, potato skins were peeled prior to cooking with the idea that the potato would be cleaner, and therefore healthier; however, it has been discovered that leaving the potato skins intact can add nutrients to a meal. The potato, as well as the skin, are great sources of vitamin C, vitamin B6, copper, potassium, zinc, and protein, but neither naturally contain any fat, cholesterol, or sodium. Leaving the skin intact can also help preserve the nutrients in the flesh of the potato, which have a tendency to escape during cooking.)
 
Then Chop an Onion
 
Pour about a spoon of oil into the pan along with about 1 tbsp. of butter
Add your meat, veggies (sometimes I throw in leftover broccoli, spinach, peppers whatever you like and your potatoes and onions to the pan. Sautee on a pretty high heat until they begin to turn golden and the onions translucent
 
 
 
When the outsides are shiny and golden and the insides still need cooking, I simply lather them with my favorite flavors (salt/garlic/parsley/basil/hot sauce- whatever you love)  pop on my lid and turn the heat to medium. I let it cook, covered (stirring occasionally) as I finish the rest of breakfast. The longer they sit, the better they taste. I've used the flavored cream cheeses, pesto sauces etc in my potatoes. I love these babies. They are amazing. Every time.. without fail as long as I cook them long enough. (if they taste like a plain baked potato cook them longer and season them some more. Make sure they are shiny and if not, add more oil or butter. When they are done, they should have intense flavor and be soft as a mashed potato..... My final step is to take the lid off, sprinkle on some cheese if you like and sautee them on a higher heat to your desired crispyness.
 
They are heavenly and you'll never buy frozen potatoes again. It's too easy to make them like this.
 
Enjoy cooking... it's so worth it.
 
I went out and purchased a box of cereal this week and it was awful. I was still hungry and I missed my home fried potatoes. There's just nothing like potatoes and eggs in the morning.
 
Much love,
Veronique
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.