Wednesday, April 24, 2013

When the Unexpected Happens

I am a bit down today after losing my dearest bull. I have been helping to watch a farm and have gotten so attached to this dear old bull. He has this adorable head of hair that caused me to call him Romeo, ears like shrek, little hooves that curled under so adorably and he was literally in the death position 3 days ago... on his side. We were able to pull him upright and he was eating happily the last two days. During that time, I got SO attached to him. I couldn't quit petting him. He started nuzzling me and giving me kisses. He became so attached to me, I didn't want to leave his side and this morning as I was petting him and tears ran down his face, he breathed his last sigh. The idea of his little shrek like ears never moving or his neck never responding to my touch. It is so painful. I will admit, I've let some things slide..mainly my appearance. I still make homemade meals simply for the economics and health of it but each morning as I woke I couldn't bear the time it took to brush my hair. I have discovered that a quick swipe with my anti aging makeup wipe and a coat of foundation, my brightest lipstick, dark brown eye shadow across my lid and mascara will look almost as nice as a full blown makeup job and allow me to be out with the bull in 3 min. I've pretty much kept this routine the last several days. Even though I was tempted to do without, I ALWAYS groom. It affects everything. It will literally slow down your routine if you don't get lovely. There is something about getting ready that just adds momentum... perhaps it's the fact that it avoids the depression that ALWAYS comes with feeling bad about your appearance. If you don't feel pretty, you will be grouchy, a little sloppier and moody... so pretty much, your house won't be as pretty or tidy, you won't be pleasant and you'll be an awful lover... get ready ;)

It is because of life and death that our role in the home is so important. We are the structure and the atmosphere of the home. It is our meals and our decorating that create the canvas of memories that will be 'home'. Our loved ones are creating memories every day in our homes.
It is our meals they will miss when they are away and it is our home that our husbands should ache to return to after a long day. When we are gone one day, they will crave our comfort, our love, our meals and our home.

Holidays are in our hands and so much is up to us. We have such a lovely important role... like the director of a moving movie. What kind of atmosphere will you create? What kind of touching moments will occur in your home? How many will flock to your home for comfort and refuge and a warm meal?
I made a mongolian beef recipe the other day for my husband who no matter how many good meals I made always said he'd still like to go out to eat... and the other day as he licked his plate he said happily "we don't need to go out to eat anymore." I always love to try to make anything we'd go out for and I'd finally done it. It isn't pretty at first. He has been with me through the meals where I hadn't quite figured out frying and everything was saturated with oil as the pan smoked and was full of black char...He ate the eggs I made with soggy whites. He was there as I worked to figure out creams and had lumps and no flavor. He was there when I overdid flavor and after all that time of practicing and practicing, I can officially say that just about every meal I take on tastes heavenly. I have mastered frying. I know how to get the perfect golden glow. My breads are a delight. I am a queen with savoring up the food perfectly.
 
It brings me so much joy when I see people squeal in delight at my food and run back for more. They always want to know if I'm cooking anything and it makes me feel good. So dig in... practice. Get through the experimental phase and you will reach the expert phase. I no longer crave eating out. I LOVE looking up a restuarant dish and making it myself. If I crave a certain atmosphere from a restuarant, I work to create it at home. I love watching old female actresses on my favorite classic films and working to integrate that into my aura and my features and my way of doing things. I strive to be lovely, to provide a wonderful home and loving wonderful meals and I treaure every day I have with my family.
 
It may be my last. The home is the most important place on earth. How you manage your home will ALWAYS be more important than how well you do your job etc... How you love your husband and family makes more of a difference than anything you will ever do. Enjoy your role. Enjoy being lovely for your man. Enjoy making a cozy home for your family. Enjoy the family and love God has given you and never take it for granted. Life is short but memories last forever.

Much love Always,
Veronique

The AMAZING Mongolian Beef Recipe I made the other day...I added brown sugar and some hot sauce to my liking ;)

P. F. Chang's Mongolian Beef. Photo by Caroline Cooks


Directions:

 (the bullets got messed up in my formating... so sorry.. not sure how to fix the formatting. Enjoy the recipe :) )
Make the sauce by heating 2 tsp of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over med/low heat.
  1. 2
    Don't get the oil too hot.
  2. 3
    Add ginger and garlic to the pan and quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches.
  3. 4
    Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, then raise the heat to about medium and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
  4. 5
    Remove it from the heat.
  5. 6
    Slice the flank steak against the grain into 1/4" thick bite-size slices (Tilt the blade of your knife at about a forty five degree angle to the top of the steak so that you get wider cuts).
  6. 7
    Dip the steak pieces into the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece of beef.
  7. 8
    Let the beef sit for about 10 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks.
  8. 9
    As the beef sits, heat up one cup of oil in a wok (you may also use a skillet for this step as long as the beef will be mostly covered with oil).
  9. 10
    Heat the oil over medium heat until it's nice and hot, but not smoking.
  10. 11
    Add the beef to the oil and sauté for just two minutes, or until the beef just begins to darken on the edges.
  11. 12
    You don't need a thorough cooking here since the beef is going to go back on the heat later.
  12. 13
    Stir the meat around a little so that it cooks evenly.
  13. 14
    After a couple minutes, use a large slotted spoon to take the meat out and onto paper towels, then pour the oil out of the wok or skillet.
  14. 15
    Put the pan back over the heat, dump the meat back into it and simmer for one minute.
  15. 16
    Add the sauce, cook for one minute while stirring, then add all the green onions
  16. Cook for one more minute, then remove the beef and onions with tongs or a slotted spoon to a serving plate.
  17. Leave the excess sauce behind in the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.